The Education and Training Unit within UCLA’s Office of the Human Research Protection Program provides training in the critical area of the protection of human research participants through various venues and via various methods. Below is a brief description of the specific programs with links to more detailed information.
- CITI Program: A web-based platform for providing training to research stakeholders at UCLA.
- Human Subjects Training: Completed through CITI Program. Required for UCLA affiliated individuals conducting human subjects research. May be satisfied either by completing a Good Clinical Practice (GCP) course or by completing a Human Subjects (HS) course.
- GCP training is required for those conducting NIH-funded clinical trials
- For more information about managing the required trainings for study teams, watch the video, New webIRB Functions: Edit Study Personnel and Automatic Training Checks
- HIPAA Training: Completed through CITI Program. A web-based training program required for research which uses, creates, or discloses Protected Health Information (PHI).
- OHRPP Learn at Lunch (noontime education series): Hour-long training sessions for UCLA research staff and faculty on topics of interest to those conducting research at UCLA. To receive information on upcoming sessions, subscribe to Human Research News on the ORA and Department News Subscription page.
- Training Upon Request: Customized training to suit the needs of faculty, staff and students.
- webIRB: Reference guides and training material for webIRB users.
- OHRPP Consults: IRB consulting services to UCLA investigators and research staff preparing IRB submissions.
In general, the training requirements depend on an individual’s role in HRPP. For more detailed information about OHRPP’s Education & Training program, please see the OHRPP Education & Training Guidance & Procedure.
Of course, University institutes, departments and units offer training, courses and modules related to protecting human subjects in research. See also the UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute's Education web page for listings of educational opportunities.
For webIRB training requests and assistance, please send an e-mail inquiry to: webIRBHelp@research.ucla.edu
For general IRB education, requests and assistance, please send an e-mail inquiry to: OHRPPEQI@research.ucla.edu