Commercial IRBs are independent pay-for-service IRBs that provide regulatory and ethical review services for academic and non-academic institutions to conduct reviews of research involving human subjects. Commercial IRBs will not review research on behalf of UCLA researchers without notification that the UCLA OHRPP has cleared the study for commercial IRB oversight.
Types of studies that qualify for commercial IRB review:
- Clinical trials (all phases)
- Industry sponsored
- Non-industry sponsored, at the discretion of UCLA OHRPP Director
- Others at the discretion of the UCLA OHRPP Director
UCLA has established service agreements with the following commercial IRBs:
Each commercial IRB has their own submission requirements, which are detailed on their websites. UCLA PIs are required to submit their applications directly to the commercial IRB along with all supporting documents, including the UCLA OHRPP “Clearance Letter”.
See below for instructions on how to:
- Obtain a UCLA OHRPP “Clearance Letter” for use of commercial IRB service,
- Register the reliance in webIRB, and
- Communicate with the commercial IRB to obtain IRB approval.